Targeted Initiative For Older Workers (TIOW)
Overview of Targeted Initiative for Older Workers
TIOW is a joint federal-provincial initiative intended to provide unemployed older workers in vulnerable communities with programming aimed at increasing their employability, reintegrating them into employment, and ensuring they remain active and productive labour market participants while their communities undergo adjustment.
Objectives of the Initiative
- To prepare older workers for new and immediate employment; and
- To increase employability of older workers in communities where there is little likelihood of immediate employment
Canadian College Eligible Programs
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be unemployed or working less than 20 hours per week;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be between the ages of 50 and 64 (inclusive); workers over the age of 64, who meet TIOW criteria, are eligible to participate;
- Live in an eligible community that the Ministry has identified for TIOW (Windsor and Essex County); and
- Lack skills needed for successful re-integration into employment
Participants in receipt of Employment Insurance
Applicants in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) may participate in TIOW. However, such applicants are required to discuss the impact that their participation in TIOW may have on their current and subsequent EI claims by contacting their local Service Canada Centre or their toll free telephone phone number at 1-800-206-7218.
What is being offered to TIOW participants?
- Resume writing
- Interview techniques
- Informational interviewing
- Career counseling
- Job search techniques
- Placement incentives to access available employment
- Direct marketing to employers
- Specific skills training targeted to identified or anticipated labour market demands
- Post-project mentoring and support, plus more …
How can I register as a client?
Simply drop off your resume in the Employment Resource Centre drop box located at 400 City Hall Square East, Room 101 Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm; or email your resume to ETS@city.windsor.on.ca to begin the process.
You will then be contacted to set up an appointment with an employment caseworker who will complete an employment assessment to identify how we can best serve you.
This Employment Ontario project, program, or service is funded in part by the Government of Canada.